Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Honey-Apple Brie Bites


Source: Pampered Chef

These are pretty much the fanciest, most sophisticated thing I feel like I have ever made. They were easy to make and didn't take very long (the dicing of the apples took the longest) and everyone loved them. 



HONEY-APPLE BRIE BITES

1 lemon
1 c toasted walnuts
2 medium red baking apples (such as Jonathan)
¼ c honey
1 - 4” round (8 oz) Brie cheese w/ rind
2 pkg prepared mini phyllo shells (30 shells total)  (you can find these in the freezer section)

Preheat oven to 400F. Zest lemon using a microplane grater to measure 1 tsp zest. (Or, conversely, zest until there's nothing left to zest. My approach to lemon zest is similar to that of garlic: the more the better.)

Coarsely chop walnuts using Food Chopper. Finely dice apple. 

Combine zest, walnuts, apple, and honey in mixing bowl. (Note: if you feel like it's a little bit dry or not mixing as well as you'd like, and/or if you ended up with extra zest and a lot of apple and slightly more than a cup of walnuts because you figured you may as well just finish up the bag, and now you need to compensate with the honey too, just squirt some more honey into the mix. You'll have to eyeball this, I'm not sure how much extra I added.)

Cut Brie into thirty 1/2” cubes. (You will not use your whole wheel.) Arrange phyllo cups on large sheet pan. (You can fit all 30 onto one pan provided the pan is large enough and you're okay with breaking ranks and not having everything in even rows.) Place one Brie cube into each cup. Using small scoop, top Brie with a level scoop of apple mixture. (You know what happens when you try and use a scoop? Stuff falls everywhere. I ended up having to use my hands. It kind of felt like I was making little sculptures. I'm not sure what they mean by "level" but if your phyllo cups were anything like my phyllo cups, once you put the Brie in them, that takes up quite a bit of room, since they're not all even on the bottom, so your mixture will have to go around and on top of the little cube, and there will be nothing level about them. And you know what? That's okay.) (Note: I ended up with a lot of extra apple mixture - I probably could have gotten another 15count box of phyllo cups and filled those as well. I don't know if it was because of the size of my apples or my lack of accurate measuring, but... oh well. Who doesn't like having extra?) (Despite all of my commentary, these are actually quite easy to make.)

Bake 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. (I went 7.)

Verdict: Deeeeeeeelish.

Leftover quality: they all got eaten. This question is unanswerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment