Sunday, January 31, 2010

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup


Source: Pampered Chef "It's Good For You" cookbook

Notes: This is probably my favorite recipe in the history of recipes. It is sooooo good and it's even good for you. It's also really easy to make, although there is a little bit of multitasking involved.

update: Weight Watchers Points Plus values: 6 pts+ (serving size: 1 1/3 cup)

My comments in italics.

GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP

2 cups chopped cooked chicken (1 boneless, skinless breast should be enough. When cooking, I always use lemon-pepper seasoning - entirely optional)
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
(I use sweet yellow onions, though I don't imagine it matters. I usually end up using about 1/2 the onion)
1-2 lemons (if you get a big enough/juicy enough lemon, you should be okay with 1. I like using 2 just to make it a little more lemony. Tip: heavier lemons = more juice)
2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
(I tried using parsley flakes this past time - in which case you will want to use 2 tsp - it wasn't a huge difference but I think I will definitely go back to fresh parsley again in the future. It's a little bit more work, but I think the subtle taste difference is definitely worth it. Besides, it's cheap.)
1 garlic clove, pressed
(I always use 2 - no such thing as too much garlic!)
1 can 98% fat-free reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
3 cans 100% fat free chicken broth

1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice



1. Chop chicken, carrots, and onion using food chopper. (Seriously, if you don't have one of these, you need to get one. I would obviously recommend the Pampered Chef chopper but I think the infamous infomercial Slap Chop will get the job done as well. There is no other way to get this stuff chopped as finely as you need to, without probably losing a finger.)

2. Zest one lemon using a lemon zester/scorer to measure 1 tsp zest (approximately - just zest until you can zest no more - the more you can get, the more it will enhance the flavor). Finely snip zest using kitchen shears. Juice lemons to measure 1/4 cup juice (if you get a good lemon, it will give you 1/4 cup exactly. If you want to use a second lemon, go for it. I do.) Snip parsley using kitchen shears; set aside.

3. Spray 4qt stockpot with nonstick cooking spray (I just use Pam - for cooking, nto for baking. The baking version is a little more buttery for, obviously, baking). Heat on stovetop; add carrots, onion, and garlic pressed with garlic press. Cook and stir 2 minutes. (Be careful not to scorch - because, um, ew.)

4. Stir in chicken, soup, broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir parsley into soup just before serving.

Seriously, that's it! Prep time probably takes the longest, but it's totally worth it. I have gotten so many compliments on this soup I can't even tell you.

Leftover Quality: Fantastic! That's actually one of the reasons I make this, so I can have food for the next few days. It makes quite a bit, and it's really easy to double the recipe if you need more. Especially if, say, you're having friends over... otherwise, you might not have any left for yourself!

The soup does thicken up upon sitting, though, so that is (I assume) perfectly normal. The texture changes a little bit it still tastes amaaaazing.

5 comments:

  1. That looks SOOOOOO good! I bet I could modify it a bit and make it vegan, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made your soup and have been enjoying it thoroughly! It made it into my cookbook/notebook as "Kelly's Lemon Chicken Soup." I'm actually eating some leftovers right now, which made me think to comment ;)

    One random question though (from your far-away friend who doesn't know how to cook with fresh parsley) - what recipes do you use the leftover parsley in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth - I bet you totally, totally could. It never occurred to me, but I'm not creative like that.

    Chelsea - Yeah... it's probably my favorite food ever.

    Meredith - I don't. I just usually end up tossing it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its very nice,one of the best.
    Take care of your photos,put some light more.
    Regards from Thessaloniki.
    kostas

    ReplyDelete