Sunday, March 14, 2010

Microwave Cake

Source: Passed down from Pampered Chef consultants since the dawn of... whenever someone realized they could do this.

Notes: The caveat is, of course, that you have to have a Pampered Chef rice cooker for this to work. However, these things make perfect rice, and there are a couple other recipes I have for this thing, so I would consider it worth the investment. ($25). I mostly made this on a whim since I wanted to try it out for a show I am doing next week. I used a lemon cake/frosting combo, but you can do anything you'd like.

MICROWAVE CAKE

Box of cake mix (any flavor)
Jar of frosting (any flavor)

Ingredients to make said cake, according to box


Mix cake according to package directions and mix right in the Rice Cooker.

When batter is mixed, "glop" the frosting right on top of the batter.


Cover and microwave for 8-9 minutes.

Remove from microwave and let stand for about 3-5 minutes. Remove cover and invert onto a large* platter or large shallow bowl. The frosting will spread all over the top and sides of the cake.

*Yes, you want something very large - the frosting will be sorta all over the place if you don't have a large enough plate/bowl to catch it. I think I went a smidge too long (I went 9 minutes) - mine was kind of runny. You can always spoon the extra on top of the servings, too.


Verdict: Not as good as a regular, oven-baked cake... but not horrible, and definitely a nice "party trick" of sorts. It's fun more than anything - kind of a novelty food. Texture is kind of spongey which I didn't love, but that's kind of my personal taste. I could tell I didn't mix it as well as I could/should have.

Also, I would recommend being slightly more graceful than I, and not just plunking it on a platter. Otherwise you lose the cool frosting-flowing effect that I think you are supposed to get.

Leftover quality: This is actually really good as leftovers... I almost like it better than when it was "fresh"- ! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment