Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ham & Cheese Brunch Squares


Source: Pampered Chef "Season's Best" Mini-Cookbook - Spring/Summer 2010

Notes: Yeah, probably most of my recipes will be from P-Chef. Because they're awesome. At any rate, the new mini-cookbook just came out so I have a whole bunch of new things to try. Also, I love brunchy eggy cheesy hammy deliciousness.

My comments in italics.

HAM & CHEESE BRUNCH SQUARES

2 cups grated Colby & Monterey Jack or marble cheese (also known as Colby Jack?), divided (buying pre-shredded would probably work too... but you get nice big flakes of cheese when you grate it yourself and I am a huge kitchen tool nerd so I'm sorry I'm pushing my agenda on you)
1 pkg frozen hash brown patties, thawed (about 10 patties) (I had to use 12, but my bar pan is ginormous... besides, all I could find was a pack of 20, so it was ok)
8 oz cream cheese, softened 12 eggs 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 8 oz thickly sliced deli ham (I used the thickest lunch meat I could find, because I am poor. I would recommend using something a little better quality, haha)
4 green onions with tops, divided (I only ever eat the tops? the green part? hmm)
3 plum tomatoes



1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Lightly brush Large stone bar pan with vegetable oil. (I imagine this is the equivalent to greasing a regular metal bar pan) (stoneware is awesome though) Grate cheese using mandoline grater (or pull out of a bag. whatevs). Crumble hash browns over pan; press gently. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Bake 13-15 minutes or until crust starts to brown.

2. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl (Classic Batter Bowl, if you've got it!), whisk cream cheese until smooth. (This always, always sends me into a state of irritation... but you know what helps? Softening it in the microwave first. Genius, I know.). Coarsely chop ham using Food Chopper (you need one of these. Seriously. Don't make me tell you again.) Slice green onions, reserving 1/4 cup of the tops for garnish (or, you know. whatever looks about right. I didn't see the measurement when I was doing this. oops.) Place ham and remaining green onions into saute pan; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until hot. Stir ham mixture into egg mixture. (Honestly, I am not 100% sure what this particular step achieved, but they said to do it, so I did it. Plus I got to use my new saute pan. So that was fun.)


3. Remove pan from oven to a cooling rack. Pour egg mixture over crust. (If you have a Classic Batter Bowl, you'll find this step is super awesome and easy cause there is a SPOUT and you don't spill anywhere. Shameless plug.) Return to oven; bake 8-6 minutes or until center is set. (I went about 10, because I couldn't tell.) Meanwhile, seed and dice tomatoes with a knife. Remove pan from oven; top with remaining cheese, tomatoes, and reserved green onions. (It says you can also sprinkle with additional black pepper, if desired.) (I did not desire. I also did not desire tomatoes. First, I have no idea what a plum tomato is, and I realized I don't really love tomatoes anyway, so I just left them off.) Cut into squares and serve.


Verdict: I love breakfasty brunch foods... this one is pretty quality, but I wasn't blown away by it. I do love anything with green onions - they are a recent discovery for me, and they are my favorite of all onions... maybe I needed to add more, haha. I can't place why I'm not amazed... everything about it comes together and is quite tasty... I think I'm mentally comparing it to the egg casseroles my grandma makes, and that's just a setup for failure, haha. If you try it, let me know what you think, or if you changed anything to make it your own, and how it worked? I am curious...

Leftover quality: Good. I ended up with a LOT of leftovers... I eventually had to throw them out because I couldn't eat them fast enough. Be warned: if you use a large bar pan, you get a LOT of food. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment